We welcome you and your child to the nursery of Pear Orchard Presbyterian Church! We are committed to assisting you in “raising your children in the nurture and admonition of our Lord Jesus Christ.” It is our desire to provide loving and responsible care for your child during your attendance at our various church services.
The Scriptures tell us that everything we do is to be done to the glory of God. Our nursery can glorify God in the way we take care of the little ones who are entrusted to our care each week.
There are several reasons why we have a nursery for our infants and toddlers. While it is indeed our desire to introduce our covenant children to the corporate worship of God at an early age, we nonetheless recognize the fact that in their earliest years they are unable to actively participate in the worship of God with his people (Nehemiah 8:2).
That fact, coupled with the realization that infants and toddlers are marked by behavior that is age appropriate but can be distracting to their parents and others, leads us to believe that a nursery is a good and proper thing. Infants and toddlers naturally cry to make their needs know; they make all kinds of noises as they exercise their little voices in expressing themselves and in learning to talk; they squirm and wiggle about as they exercise muscles and expend energy; and they do all kinds of cute little things that people love to watch. As they grow older they will learn to control their behavior, but in these early years it is not right to expect them to do so. In the nursery, they are free to move about and chatter and play as is their natural inclination. They may also be changed and fed and put to bed without distraction to the worshiping congregation.
Sunday Services – AM – Children from birth through Toddlers (children who are 2 years of age by Sept. 1 go to 2 year old Sunday School.) During the 8 am service 2 year olds go into the service with their parents and when children are dismissed after the children’s sermon go into the Toddler Room until time for Sunday School. During the late morning service 2 year olds are picked up from their Sunday School room and go into the service with their parents. When the children are dismissed after the children’s sermon; they return to the 2 year old class room for Church Time.
Church Time is also offered for 3 and 4 year olds.
Sunday Services – PM – Children from birth through Toddlers.
2 year olds go into the evening service and when the children are dismissed they go to the 2 year old room where they are cared for by a nursery worker.
Wednesday Services – AM – A ladies Bible study is offered on Wednesday morning during the school year and a nursery is provided for children 5 and under. Reservations must be made for nursery as space is limited.
Wednesday Services – PM- Wednesday night nursery is offered during regular
Night activities by reservation when you sign up for scheduled activities.
Nursery Sick Policy
We warmly welcome your child into our nursery and children’s programs if he or she has not had any of the following symptoms in the last 48 hours:
- Non-clear nasal drainage
- Runny nose and eyes
- Fever of 100 or above
- Inflamed mouth and/or throat
We’ll never stop colds and illnesses, but we try to make your child’s class an ideal place for them to only catch the joy of Christ! All children should be current on ALL immunizations.
Procedures when dropping off your child
- Please do not enter the rooms unless you have a sleeping baby; simply pass the children over the half-door.
- Please fill out one of the 4-part labels provided by the door, placing one label on your child and using the 2 smaller tags to identify bottles and bags. Make sure all your child’s items are clearly marked with FIRST name, not last name or initials, to insure the workers give the proper items to your child. Please keep the parent stub as a security stub and have it with you when picking up your child
- Pagers are available for the nursery parents. These are vibrating pagers that you should keep close to you as they will vibrate if you are needed in the nursery. Only adults should carry the pagers since if they are dropped, they may not work.
- Please equip your child’s diaper bag with diapers, cups, bottles, complete change of clothing, pacifiers or other items that would comfort your child
- Formula and bottles – Formula that needs to be mixed should be pre-measured with water already in bottle. Baby food should be fed by parents before dropping your child off. A special area is provided for nursing mothers.
- If your child has a food allergy, ALLERGY ALERT TAGS are located on the nursery desk and in the Children’s Ministry Office and must be used each time your child is left in our care.
- Parents are expected to pick up children immediately following the service. Workers are allowed to release a child only to the parent or anyone designated on the label placed on the child. This person must have the security stub from the label and the pager.
For more information, please contact Mary Lou Heaney by email or call 601-206-9147.